Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Sinfulness of Sin and How it Steals our Happiness

In seminary I once commented in a class discussion that sin is at its worst when we as Christians do wrong knowing all along that we are doing wrong in the very sight of God. I was rebutted by a student that said that if he knows something is wrong he does not do it. I guess you could say that he only sins indirectly in a sense.
Call me not saved if you will, but I not only have to deal with sin "indirectly" but directly! Here I am ashamed to say with Augustine that "I had no motive for my wickedness except wickedness itself" (Confessions). I realize that God provides us a way of escape when we are tempted but I do not always do the right thing in this regard. I am weak.! And sanctification has a lot of work yet to do on me.
If we could only apply the principle of mortification of sin in our lives we would be much happier and at peace with ourselves. God would be more pleased with us as well. Easier said than done though isn't it.
If you are like me in your struggle with sin let us find wisdom in the truth that true happiness can only be found in the pursuit of righteousness. To entertain sin only causes us to be unhappy. No matter how appealing sin is to our flesh it cannot bring happiness, but only a deceptive form of it, which itself soon turns into pain.
"For you were always with me, mercifully punishing me, touching with a bitter taste all my illicit pleasures" (Augustine, Confessions).
"Why do you stand looking in at the shop window, When you can't go inside? The world and its gratifications pass away. Always the lure of the senses will be tempting us to stroll abroad, but what is left after a brief hour of enjoyment? All you carry home with you is a troubled conscience, and a distracted mind. Glad journey out, sad journey home" (a Kempis, Imitation)

No comments: