Friday, April 13, 2007

Death and Dying

When I was a child I imagined that I would never die. I would hold my breath to prove it to myself. Every time I let out a big exhale I said to my self "see there, I am invincible!" (I think this was about the time the movie superman came out.)
The day I was told my brother was killed in a car accident, I held my breath because I wanted to be where he was (I was nine.) As it turned out I was still immortal and remained that way throughout my teens--especially my teens.
I remember the day the concept of immortality really set in for me. It wasn't as much at conversion I don't think as it was at the birth of my twin boys. They were premature and and so small you could hold them in the palms of your hands. I was afraid they were going to die. I never remember having faith in God as much as I did at this time. I had no other choice but to believe that our days are determined by god (Job 14:5). I could not make them live, and the Doctors along with all ot the machines they were pluged into was not going to give them the gift of live that only comes from God and is taken away by him.
Well since then people have lived and died.
All of my extended family have passed away except my sister. My grand parents, parents, brother, aunt and uncle, have all lived out their allotted time and moved on as immortals either in heaven or hell.
Today is my birthday and it is a reminder to me that the years fly by and the time of my crossing the river Jordan draws closer.
I am not afraid of death, its the dying part that is not very appealing to me! But whatever the means of exit is it will be nothing compared to the destination.
Sometimes life can be discouraging and we may want to cash our ticket in prematurely. I can understand how people can loose the will to live and cry out in pain and frustration "I praised the dead who were already dead, more than the living who are still alive. Yet, better than both is he who has never existed" (Ecc.4:2,3).
Apart from Christ the outlook of life is one of despair. In Christ life is given meaning and hope. In Christ we may still want to check out but for a different reason, because it is far better to be with him; we must wait though, for we are still needed here (Phil. 1:23,24).
Earlier I talked about self-deception. I don't think anybody can deceive themselves in the matter of death. No one has made the escape yet! Some have even died more than once! (Lazarus for example) Our Lord even died. There are some, however, that will deceive themselves in to thinking that they will be safe from God's judgment in hell. "It does not exist they say." But God says it does. Don't let your self be deceive on the matter. Come to Christ and be saved from God's wrath. I am not afraid of hell and long to be in heaven where there is no more pain from living in a cursed world.
Life moves quickly. It is like a vapor that disappears . Man is few of days and full of trouble. He comes forth like a flower and then fades away. Where will you stand when it is your time. I know where I will stand--in the righteousness of Christ. (I just don't seem to have enough of my on, no matter how hard I try.)

No comments: