Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Myth of Multitasking

I have never been one that could do more than one thing at a time. If I am reading I cannot watch television, if I am working on the computer I cannot talk on the phone, if I am working in my trade full time my academic studies suffer, if I am pursuing my academic studies whole hearted my secular job grows slack.
I realize that perhaps I am just not as good at multitasking as I ought to be. And maybe it is a talent given to some and not others, but I don't think so. I think we are fooling ourselves.
The ancient Greek philosopher realized the impossibility of being a "Jack of all trades--master of none." He (Socrates) says, "does one person do a better job if he practices many crafts or--since he's one person himself--if he practices one?" "If he practices one" (Republic ii).
God would have us serve him as our task in life and none other. We cannot serve the world and God both at the same time. It is one or the other! (Mat. 6:24) I do not intend to imply that everybody quit their jobs and become church related vocation professionals. I do mean to say that we should not place the demands of the world and the comforts that we seek to acquire in it above our spiritual health and forget whom it is that we serve and how he would be served.
Today I have decided to stop "multitasking" and start "tasking" for the master. I will let the things that are really unimportant in life fall by the way side. So what if the house is not clean, the customer gets a little up set, the bill is late, the boss gets mad etc. "Therefore I say do not worry about your life..." (Mat. 6:24).
We become so busy sometimes that I think we forget whom it is we serve. And whom it is that provides for us. "So why do you worry?" Jesus said. (Mat. 6:28)
"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all of these things will be added to you" (v. 33).
It is time to start breaking down the barriers that stand between us and God and between us and our spouses, and us and our children. Let the cares of this world burn up in the fires of being renewed in the Spirit of God and let us seek Him above all else.
We cannot bear the weight of the pressures of this world if we attempt to multitask our way through life--attempting to serve the world and our Lord.
He will have it one way or the other.
Forget about the cares of this world. Seek God in prayer, study his word, have family devotion, do a service for him--take a mission trip, send some money to help those in need, visit the hospital, or prison. Have you done any of these few mentioned things lately--ever? Or has multitasking proven its deception a reality in your life and rendered you inert in the things of God? You see multitasking is a myth and is really service to a master that is not your own.
I wonder if we could realize that we bring our work home and not Christ to work and then back home with us what a difference we could make and how different out lives would be. I am talking about selling out completely to Jesus. Having found a pearl of great price will you not sell all and go and buy it?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Sigh. True, true. Shaking off this facade of the do-it-all mom is a hard thing though. I think I have sinfully found my identity in this rather than in my true callings in life: daughter to the King, wife of Robert, mother to Sam, Nathanael, Hannah, Joshua and Kristina. Help me task, honey.