Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Esteeming Others Better than Ourselves

In philosophy (logic) an error/mistake in reasoning is called a fallacy. There are a number of fallacies. My favorite is a fallacy of irrelevance the ad hominem (to the man). This is when something is said about or to the "opponent" that is completely irrelevant to the argument or point of discussion, whether it is true or not. There are several ad hominem arguments. One is the abusive ad hominem. This is when there is a verbal attack on the person not the argument. "You are a no good lying lazy cheat and thief." (words by the way that were addressed to me personally last week by a disgruntled worker.) May be a person is but that does not prevent them from making a legitimate argument for or against something. Then there is the Tu QuoQue (pronounced "kwo kway"). It is my all time favorite logical fallacy. This fallacy is committed when the person argues that they are right because their opponent has done the same thing or something even more objectionable. "How can you tell me to quit smoking tobacco when you chew tobacco!"
I say all of this because this is what we do to one another when we do not esteem the next person better than ourselves. I don't know about you but the list of all my short comings are ad infinitum (more Latin to sound smart). One would get very tired of pointing out what is bad in my life! But this is not the point. The point is that a lot of problems in our relationships can be solved not by pointing out what is bad about the other person in an attempt to rationalize and justify our position, but by building up the other person. I have never won an argument by name calling and trying to point out how much in the right I was, and how much better I am compared to you--and I would be willing to bet that you haven't either.
But the objection might be raised "I am right!" Well what would be so bad about taking a hit for the team? Don't you believe that love covers sin?
I am ashamed to say that I have said things to my wife and children that I would never say to you and all because I did not esteem them better than my self. Let us think about that today.
"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself" (Pil. 2:3).

No comments: