Saturday, April 28, 2007

Pastoral Ministries

I remember when I was younger that the preacher would visit our home every now and then. He came to have fellowship and check on our spiritual needs. When was the last time a pastor or elder was in your home or invited you into theirs?
The pastor would come on his own initiative. Sometimes he would not even announce his coming! This was not a bad thing. We were glad to see him.
If you had a problem at home, he was there, if you had to go to the hospital, he was there, if you lost a loved one he was there, if you wanted to get married he was there. I have even seen a pastor take off his coat and help dig a grave after the funeral sermon because the family could not afford the burial. Ever seen that before?
When did pastors get so important and busy that they could not minister?
Today talking to a pastor is like being at some city office and having to take a number or wait in line in order to be helped.
I am not saying they should be busy doing the work of a deacon or any thing like that. Nor is it my intention to point out any church in particular. I am talking about this matter in a general sense. And I know there are many faithful pastors.
I understand that there are books to be written, personal, devotional, family time, and sometimes the nine to five on the side must be undertaken.
It just seems to me that a pastor is always on the go and I ask my self where to? The sheep's shepherd is so busy building fences that he has forgotten that there are sheep to attend to.
When is the last time you were able to have fellowship one on one with your pastor apart from there being an organized time of fellowship? What ever happened to mentorship?
I miss the days when you could ask the pastor over to the house for Sunday dinner after church, and he would come! I am saddened to see that pastors have become so "important" and busy with "ministry," that they have over looked some of the basic practical aspects of ministry. They are off to do ministry but where and to who is my question? An abstract congregation?
"And he (Jesus) went in to tarry with them" (Lk.24:29). Notice in the text he would have gone further but made time for them.

No comments: