Friday, September 21, 2007

Being Original in Writing

I have been struggling with the idea of writing a book or two. There is a big part of me that says that there is no need to. Our culture is running on information overload in a sense. I rationalize that what I might say has already been said and--I am sure better! I further reason that there are multitudes of solid Christian writers out there and they are doing a great job so what need is there for me to add anything?
All through school we are exhorted to be original when writing term papers, i.e. say something new. This progresses when it comes to writing prospectuses, theses and doctoral dissertations, though somewhere along the way "research" in integrated in. I guess to save face.
I have always been frustrated with this and want to respond by saying, what's the bibliography for again? Or, I read your book and there was nothing new there!
Well, though it has probably already been said, and said better (There is nothing new under the sun anyhow right?), I realize the point is that we all have our part to do. Someone may not read Augustine or Calvin, but they may pick up something current (Lord help em if it's mine). So, there is our responsibility as regards this, but also I seem to learn better when taking something in and then putting it back out. So there is a personal beneficial advantage in this regard.
I conclude this matter then by saying, though there may not be anything I can add that's new, I will nevertheless press forward with the matter of the writing of books. Indeed I hope that I do not add anything new at all for in my subject area this would be heresy, creative perhaps, but not new. It is the old that I am interested in; not the new, because what is new is not always true. Even current topics being addressed by Christian writers today for the most part are not new but old ideas in new clothes. There are exceptions or course, especially in the field of medical ethics, but there is not usually some ting absolutely new and original. So I will stick with the old and say what has been said and what will continue to be said until the end, that Jesus saves sinners! Unless Martians land and then I may write a book on the nature of Martians, or something, in light of scripture.

No comments: