Monday, December 17, 2007

"Merry Christmas" and Political Correctness

Political correctness once alarmed me. Now it is just either sad or humorous in that it has gotten so ridiculous. A lady at a restaurant sent me off with a "happy holidays" at which I replied "merry Christmas." She was thrilled and responded "merry Christmas!" She said that they were not allowed to say merry Christmas unless it is first said to them because they might offend someone. This goes to show though that this is not really what people want. We have yielded our senses to absurdity.
(Isn't interesting to observe how the very name of Christ is offensive.) I will not ever conform to political correctness! Since when do we allow the minority to control the majority anyhow? I am afraid that political correctness is going to have to run its course until we get so fed up with it that we put a stop to it. I'm sure it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. But I am confident that eventually it will fall under its own weight. Or sane people will eventually say, "enough is enough already!"
If I say merry Christmas to you and it offends you, I am truly sorry, in more ways than one. But it is offensive to Christians to be made to feel as if we are not allowed to celebrate Christmas as is our culture, our heritage, and religious right. So here is a big Merry Christmas to you!

No comments: