Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mortifying Sin in a Non Legalistic Spirit

"The Lord said to Cain, 'If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.'" (Gen. 4:6,7 Not quoted verbatim).

We can be saved much misery in life if we could take this to heart. But we, like Cain, do not always do so. In the next verse Cain attacked his brother and killed him.
How easy it is to sin. How much harder it is to do what is right. How many times have I promised to never do a certain thing again only to find myself in the very next "verse" disregarding what is right, breaking yet another promise to myself and God, choosing sin, over and over again? Do I give up the fight? Shall I sin that grace may abound? God forbid!
I will continue to strive to master sin. This is the life struggle of the Christian. We must master it. We must be about the business of mortifying sin or it will mortify us.
Let us remember the choice that Cain made and its consequences, not following his example, but choosing good.
If we fail, and we will, let us pick ourselves up and get back into the fight. We cannot stay down. I will not stay down. Christ has forgiven me. He commands me to master sin. The Holy Spirit will help me. Besetting sins or not, we strive for the mastery of sin!
Sanctification is a reality and will do its work until the day I die. Sometimes it may look like and feel like we are loosing the battle, but we aren't. We press on, wounded, but toward victory. The war is won. Christ has declared it; but we remain in battle; and as such, we must fight. The enemy would still defeat us and make slaves of us.
Shall we be slaves or masters?

1 comment:

CODY said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.